Sunday 14 August 2011

The Best Sunday Breakfast

So with our 4 day mini stay-cation coming to the end, I thought I'd share the most simple, but most delicious breakfast that I came up with this morning, in part because I was starving, in part because I have an amazing new olive oil I love, and in part because I was watching Julia Roberts eat breakfast in her Roman apartment enjoying what they describe in Eat Pray Love as “Il Dolce Far Niente” - The Art of Doing Nothing.




The past 4 days have been great. Yesterday was my birthday, and so I've had a weekend filled with good times and have been feeling that great birthday love. One of the things I had put on my birthday wish list (almost all of them food-related, naturally) was really good olive oil. Two of our close friends, another married couple, bought me two really interesting bottles. I haven't really opened the second one, but this first one, a Portuguese olive oil, is supposed to be award winning and I'm in love with it. 


So, strange as it sounds, for some reason I have never eaten a soft boiled egg. And, for some reason, I was compelled to have them this morning. I just felt like with a drizzle of olive oil, it could be magical. I was right. This must have been by far my favourite breakfast of the year, for sure. If you, like me, have never soft boiled an egg, by the way, the timing goes like this: 

  1. Boil water
  2. Add eggs to boiling water
  3. Boil eggs in water for 7 minutes.
Isn't there some joke about the over-simplicity of recipes showing "how to boil an egg"? Oh well, if you've never done it, you can't just know how to do it all by yourself, unless you feel like experimenting with many dozens of eggs, and who wants to do that? Anyway, the whites were perfectly cooked, no stringy stuff, but still creamy, and the yolks had just begin to cook around the edges, but the middles were  slightly thickened by still runny. 


I had picked some tomatoes from the garden the day before, so I used up the rest of them by simply cutting them half. I also happened to have some roasted peppers tossed in balsamic vinegar and olive oil, and added a tiny piece of runny goat cheese. Nothing complicated here. I drizzled a small amount of that amazing olive oil over the eggs and tomatoes, added salt and pepper, and this was seriously the best breakfast. The Mediterranean Diet, and lifestyle, are all about appreciating the simple pleasures in life. And boy did I ever this morning!


I hope you get to take some time to live the good life and work on “Il Dolce Far Niente" on this fine Sunday. Have a great day!

5 comments:

  1. I have never had a soft boiled egg; but I'm game to try it. It looks fantastic! Happy Belated Birthday to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH that looks sooo yummy! Happy Birthday too!

    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a great week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes it's all in how you prepare the food isn't it? Your breakfast looks amazing. Love that movie too.
    Thanks for linking up at Bacon Time. I am going to have another fun give away at this weeks linky, hope to see you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a labor of love and so yummy! Thanks for linking up at Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for sharing this at Recipe Sharing Monday. The new party is now up and I'd love for you to link up again :)

    ReplyDelete