Monday 19 December 2011

A Thirty Minute Meal: Cheesy French Mushroom Baguette

This is a recipe that I have made several times over the last few years. I got the idea from Rachael Ray, it's pretty similar to the original, but I sort of just throw stuff in according to what I have on hand. You can check out the original recipe here. Not only is it totally delicious, but it can also be thrown together in 30 minutes, a plus, especially around the holidays. It's a sort of a sophisticated pizza-ish meal, that is a lot healthier.



* A word on the amount of cheese in this recipe. I realize 3 cups sounds like an awful lot of cheese, and if you wanted, you could cut it down. But honestly, if this is your main meal, and you DO get 8 servings out of this, I don't think there is any reason for panic here. Yes cheese is fatty, but let's not forget that some fat does make us feel more satisfied more quickly, and literally makes us happy. Do you know that a diet that is too low in fat can be linked to depression? That would explain why I turn into a total nut-job whenever I've gone on Weight Watchers... Also, this is a vegetarian meal, and so this cheese is also an important source of protein. Moderation is key. EAT THE CHEESE, PEOPLE!

I think this recipe is VERY Mediterranean. Just have a small piece, a salad and a glass of wine, and you will be totally satisfied.

SERVINGS:  4-8 servings 
(depending how many men are around....)

INGREDIENTS:


2 packs of white button mushrooms, sliced (or a mix of whatever is good - price is a factor !)
3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
3-4 cloves crushed garlic
1 bay leaf
1 tsp dried thyme (or 1 sprig fresh if you have it)
s & p
1/2 cup white or red wine (both work well, but I only ever have red in the house)
1 tsp Worchestershire sauce
1 baguette
3 cups sharp cheese (I like cheddar, but any strong cheese will do)

Optional:
2 onions, caramelized, to go on top of the mushroom mixture (that takes some time...)
a few handfuls of chopped spinach, to be added to the mushrooms with the wine

PROCESS:

If you are caramelizing the onions, go ahead and do that before anything else, because it takes quite some time. Cook on medium low with some olive oil, thyme and salt and pepper for at least 20 minutes or so. This was the first time I added that step in, and I'd say it's worth the extra effort.


Chop up all of your mushrooms, and heat up a big pan on medium to medium-high. Eyeball about 3 or so tablespoons of olive oil. Dump in your mushrooms, and stir in the bay leaf, thyme, s & p. Let the mushrooms cook until they've released their liquid. Add in the wine. I had some leftover spinach to use up, so I figured why not bump up the nutrition as much as possible. Leave it cook for just a couple of minutes.


While this is cooking away, half the baguette length-wise, and pull out some of the insides, creating a concave shape for more mushroom-y goodness.


Pile the mushrooms onto the open baguettes (get them on a cookie sheet before, to avoid a transportation disaster). If you have the caramelized onions, spread them on top of the mushrooms. Pile on the cheese, and stick these puppies under the broiler.



And there you have it folks. A marriage of mushrooms and cheese into a melty, flavour explosion... It is totally decadent.

Have a great day!

15 comments:

  1. This looks great! I agree - I don't think you need that much cheese and it would still taste pretty good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love 'shrooms so much; this looks incredible! Hope you're having a lovely holiday season. Sorry I've been so absent from blogging and commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds delish! Merry Christmas from Bacon Time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness1 I must try this. Looks Yummy! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummy! That looks scrumplicious!

    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a very Merry Christmas!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome! I love that you don't sacrifice on the cheese. Moderation is key but in the portion. Love your site! New follower!
    Not Your Ordinary Agent
    Not Your Ordinary Recipes
    Clean Gal

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow this looks amazing! I will try it and report back!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks delicious! Thanks for linking to Things I've Done Thursday! Merry Christmas!

    Melanie
    www.bearrabbitbear.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Kim,
    We would really enjoy this creation with all the wonderful mushrooms and cheese, it looks delicious! Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday. I am wishing you and your family a very Merry Christmas!
    Come Back Soon,
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds yummy! Thanks for linking up at I Made It! Monday. Can't wait to see what you have next.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks so much for stopping by my site: www.potholesandpantyhose.com! I think you liked my Sweet & Salty Gifts-the pretzel rods adorned with crushed peppermint and almond bark.
    I can't quit checking out your recipes-I'm salivating. I was planning on a salad for dinner, but hm....maybe some things need to change 'round here!
    Rebekah

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yum - This sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I MADE THIS and it was absolutely fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Anonymous

    Oh wow, I'm so happy to hear that someone else can share in how ridiculously good these are.

    ReplyDelete
  15. My husband & I made this tonight & it was great, our kids/teens even loved it (but they're male so they like everything anyway lol). We didn't have any wine & we added thinly sliced charbroiled chicken strips bcz we like meat, but it was so good. Thanks for sharing, saw this on Pinterest. :)

    ReplyDelete